Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day



Ten years ago I took my father out to dinner to celebrate Father's Day. A short time later, I received a letter from him. In the letter he thanked me for dinner, offered me some fatherly advice, and closed with this:

"Someday I hope you have a son to love as much as I love you."

I came across this letter a few weeks ago while re-arranging my closet. I didn't even remember saving it but I'm sure glad I did.

You see, eleven months ago my father's hope was realized when my son Thomas was born. On the same day I was blessed to not only have a new son to love but a beautiful daughter as well.

The meaning of Father's Day has changed forever for me now. Now I know that there is nothing in the world more special than being a father. I strive to be as good a father to Elizabeth and Thomas as my Dad is to me.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

Someday I hope my son loves me as much as I love you.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's beautiful. Brings happy tears to my eyes. Love to all three of you.

Amy

Anonymous said...

David, this is incredible... thank you for sharing this with everyone! What a wonderful way to honor to your father! This sure made me smile! You are a great dad and son! Ashley, E and T are blessed :)

Anonymous said...

Awww... What a special relationship you three have.

Ashley said...

David and his dad do have a very special relationship I think. They are both outstanding men... though I guess I am a little partial:)